THE GREG & HEATHER HUNT FAMILY


"EACH DAY COMES ONLY ONCE IN A LIFETIME"


6/07/2009

EBAY LOVES GREG PART 3 (THE CAR)

I hesitated to post part 3 in this odd story, but knew that I would want to refer to it later(this is like my public journal), and also get your take. It's complicated yet simple, Funny yet sad, Heart felt yet Heart breaking. Yes, this is yet another chapter in the EBay saga. So, when the arrival of dolls slowed down, and the excitement of the Harley faded, late at night I saw Greg searching EBay for old cars. On dates he would spot different models that he thought were suitable to his taste. "You know what I'm kinda getting in to now, Heather? Old cars." "NO", I replied. "you don't know anything about cars. If it broke down, you wouldn't know how to fix it. We have a miniature 2 car garage that the 2 vehicles we now own, don't fit in. (4 if you count the motorcycles). You bought a new truck this year, and a motorcycle, no more, PLEASE. If anything, we would replace the van. But, I think we should wait 'til the kids are a bit less destructive to even do that." I depart. Fingers in my ears, singing a calming song to relieve the anxiety. The conversation is over.

Greg leaves town shortly thereafter. He is gone for a few days, so I was missing him. I talked to him on the phone and he tells me that he has a big surprise for me. I hang up wondering...."what could it be? He acts like he did something really nice for me." I forget about it, thinking he probably just said it. The next day, he was almost home, and told me he was bringing me home a surprise. "Could it possibly be? Could he have bought us a new family car to travel to Utah in?(We had already discussed what kind we wanted when the time came.) Oh, that would be exciting, but, I don't think we should yet...." I can't deny that I let my imagination get away. The thought of a new car was really cool. The minivan is great, but the kids are out of car seats now, and I could stop being a minivan mom. (I'm proud to be one anyway). I hear him come home. He comes in and says "come outside. I have a surprise for you." I walk outside, and what do I see? A 1969 light blue Cadillac sedan. Shock. "I bought you a car!" "You bought ME a car? You bought YOU a car!" "No, really it's for you. It's a girl car." "No you didn't. You bought YOU a car. Don't say you bought ME a car." A tear streams down my face. (day before my period) In my disappointment, I told him that he used me as an excuse to buy himself something HE wanted so I couldn't say "no" 'cause it's a gift, and that it was selfish. "It says CRUELAA on the licence plate, and it matches the Vespa." ......The thing is, he was looking for a car for himself, he happened on to this one that was in great shape, has only 70,000 miles, (same as the van!) and a a desperate seller with a good price. "I could just give it to Heather", he thought. And then he got excited. Thinking I would get excited. If the previous conversations and 'stuff' hadn't taken place, I would have. This car is totally my style. I love stuff like this. I never wanted it for me, but I do think they're great. To me, it seemed like such an unnecessary thing to buy at this time. He had some pretty roses on the front seat that he tossed on the sidewalk. The fight was a pretty good one. We are actually laughing about it now, but it surely wasn't funny at the time. After pondering it for a few weeks, I actually think he can see how I feel. maybe?....anyway... now we're trying to decide if we should sell it for a profit, or pimp it and store it in his warehouse until we have more space. (not much fun when it's not there for you to drive around.) Anyway, feel very free to express your take on this fine story. We are both very open to see other's views. Livin' and learnin' the best we can. Usually people seem to take Greg's side. Seriously though, does anyone see my side? Everyone?....Truth is, we're on the same side, so we just want further constructive criticism.
(YOU'VE GOTTA ADMIT, I'D LOOK CUTE IN IT)
I actually am going out on a little girls night in Cruelaa with my girl, Kelly. She's my best friend here. I truly love her. (Funny thing is, her and Greg are best buddies too.) We're really looking forward to it! We need to get it in since we were sited yesterday for having a car parked on the side of our house. We have 14 days to remove it, or we'll be fined.***
update: It's looking like I want to keep it. The more I drive it, the cuter, and cuter it is. I'm glad Greg is fun and crazy enough to balance me out. (am I really that dull?) He just needs to learn a thing or 2 about timing. (on our girls night he actually called me and asked me in the middle of dinner if I was cool with him buying some old fashioned Honda scooter on ebay for $700 just to "ride around in when he didn't feel like taking the Harley". On our very rare girls night. While we happened to be talking about how husbands need to be there for there wives emotionally. uhhhh, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

4 comments:

jen said...

I remember buying my family cordless phones for Christmas one year. Obviously I was the one that wanted the cordless phone. Everyone ended up loving the cordless idea though and all was good. Even though Greg bought it for himself it's all good now because you love it. I've always wanted an old car like that. I think it's SO cool! I'm sure have a lot of gray haired men checking you and the car out. FUN! If you don't want it, I'll take it! Tell Greg that I still have nightmares about him chewing in my ear, so if he would like to make it up to me, I'd LOVE to take any old car he wants to buy. Well not any old car, it has to be cool like yours. Thanks Greg, I'm waiting! yay.

Erin said...

I was wondering about the new addition infront of your house. Too funny. I love it! Very cute! But seriously, how long before Greg takes it over b/c your not spending enough time with it?? Greg reminds me sooo much of my Bro in law. Great Guy..., just needs a new toy every few months. :)
Sorry again for missing the party at the park....Tim was out of town and I had 2 sick kids. Why does that always happen that way?!
We will miss you guys!

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Hi heather!

church is at nine. this is quite the story!

Michelle Jones said...

Hahahahahaha! Heather, Lisa gave me a preview of this story and I had to get on your blog to read it. So funny to me!

I just love the "roses that ended up on the sidewalk" detail. It is a poignant image of the ending of your fight. I strangely enjoy reading about other people's arguments--I think it helps me realize how trivial almost everything is that we think is a huge deal in the midst of it. Not that you didn't have something to be mad about because if I were you, I would have taken a sledge-hammer to the thing as soon as he said it was mine! My husband, Ty, bought an expensive gun once and tried to tell me that it was so I'd feel safe at night (when he didn't even care to lock the front door).